Monday, November 1, 2010

Like the Feeding Ducks

I was in church today and had an epiphany. The message really spoke directly to my heart and made me think, why are we so afraid to surrender to God if all He wants is to love and help us? At that moment my brain switched modes to the day before and I remembered feeding the ducks with my girlfriend. It was really fun and brought joy to both of us getting all the ducks to come close so we could feed and watching them  play. As we neared the end of the loaf of bread I held out an entire piece for the duck directly in front of me, just out of reach. No matter how calm and gentle i was the duck refused to close the distance between me and him. After about five minutes with no results, I split the piece between his buddies but didn't give him any. I don't know if ducks have personalities like we do and frankly I don't care to argue the facts but I was basically showing that I wasn't gonna hurt him and if he wanted the bread he would have to come get it from my hand. Again I held out another piece and yet still no movement from him, although from the motion of his neck and legs you could tell he desperately wanted it, but i was forced to eventually throw the bread to the other ducks. Anyhow the message in church got me thinking that we as humans are exactly like the ducks. God has an abundant amount of spiritual food for us to eat and wants nothing more than to watch as his children soak it up and play in front of his eyes. Yet we are to scared to surrender to Him to receive this abundant supply of love and nurturing. Maybe we are scared to no longer be in control, maybe we have let someone get close before and been kicked or shewed away, or maybe we just have no idea what God has for us because none of the other ducks have told us of his givings. So I challenge each and every one of you, whether you be a duck that knows of his blessings (follower of Christ) or the duck on the other side of the lake (none believer) please don't be afraid to close the gap and surrender to Him because there is nothing but Love and blessings in store for you.

2 comments: